The challenge of developing organizational resilience and sustainability is now a top priority on the leadership agenda. What role will HR play in shaping the new world of business and work? What’s HR’s role? Is it strategic enough? How does it add value?
The current crisis has placed people at the center of organizations and redefined who the ‘most valued and important people’ are. Protecting the health and safety of staff will be key to generating future loyalty and emotional engagement for the winning businesses of the future. Traditional style leaders will be tested by a new agenda of stakeholder capitalism that elevates the environment, social contribution and justice, to new heights. The HR community has underlined the need to develop fully engaged and resilient employees to build agile teams.
The HR toolbox of the previous decade is suitable for a new work and business environment. Many organizations that have successfully navigated the crisis have shown these traits.
Some of the Crucial Questions HR Will Need to Address
- What did the company learn from the crisis?
- How do we deal with losing people?
- How easy was it to do business with us?
- How much of what we did has proved irrelevant?
- What can we do better, quicker, and at a lower cost than we did previously?
- How can we continue to bring value to our customers?
- What will be our future business priorities?
- How can we help individuals reconnect with coworkers and clients?
- How can we get people focused on the right things to get out of the crisis?
- In what ways can we reskill our workforce?
- How can we re-energize individuals around new methods of working?
All aspects of the business and organisation must be reviewed. To learn from the crisis, we need to have a new culture of powerful conversations. The great COVID-19 experiment of working from home has shown that most individuals can be trusted. Greater levels of flexibility and approach to all aspects of people management will need to be the default position.
HR professionals have an amazing chance to pursue a post-COVID agenda of creative destruction and renewal. Winning organizations of the future will need to radically transform their employee connections and re-engage emotionally with their employees in ways that have never been done before. The ultimate objective is to create a successful, resilient, and sustainable organization with a strong sense of purpose and fully engaged people.
Looking for Best Executive Search Firms in China?
Trust Cornerstone International Group – China for hiring the best talent!