HR is a critical component of the top talent management process. There are certain areas where HR can be more involved. Eight members of the Forbes Human Resources Council weigh in on how HR teams can approach gaining more visibility into the current management process of top talent.
- Align Processes And Outcomes: HR is an important part of the talent development infrastructure (tools and processes) for businesses. Managing and developing top talent is one of the most important responsibilities of a leader.
- Lead a Quarterly 9-Block Grid Exercise: HR can lead a quarterly nine-block grid exercise to gain insights into how top talent are managed and develop plans for succession planning, development and improvement plans.
- Initiate a Regular Check-In Process: Bosses need to ensure their top talent are regularly checking in with management, mentors or HR. Establishing a regular check-in cadence is key to making sure they’re performing well and staying on top of their game as well as your organization’s needs.
- Let The Process Grow And Develop: HR teams should monitor, evaluate and, if necessary, readjust their talent management process. They should ensure that they are attracting and retaining top talent, and that those employees are engaged, motivated and constantly developing and improving. It should never be stagnant, but rather always be evolving.
- Connect and Collaborate with leaders: HR teams need to connect and collaborate with department leadership to ensure everyone is on the same page for talent management.
- Coach leaders: HR plays an important role in managing top talent. Many leaders don’t have a background in talent development because they are experts in their area. HR should coach the leaders on how to support their people and ensure they grow their organization’s best workforce.
- Appreciate And Assess Skills: Top talent can deliver exponentially if pointed in the right direction, according to management experts. Assessing skill sets allows a manager to set expectations and a roadmap to optimize contributions. Identifying stretch assignments also improves cross-functional cooperation.
- Build Relationships With Top Talent: To gain insights into the management of top talent, build relationships with the individuals identified as top talent and their immediate supervisors. Foster open communication and ask for feedback on what you are doing well and what you could be doing better.
Looking to hire Leaders for your firm?
Trust Cornerstone! One of the top Executive Search firms in Asia!
Leave a Reply